HOW LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT HELPS:
Lymphedema is a chronic and often debilitating swelling of the limbs and other parts of the body resulting from changes in the lymphatic system, often following surgery and radiation treatments.
Patients going through cancer are at a greater risk of developing lymphedema. It's important that cancer patients can identify symptoms because treatment is easier in the early stages.
We help patients decrease their risk of infection and discomfort due to the symptoms of lymphedema.
LYMPHEDEMA THERAPY IS FOR PEOPLE WHO:
- desire to become aware of the symptoms of lymphedema to treat the condition in its early stages.
- are experiencing limb swelling
- suffer from recurrent infections
- are struggling with non-healing wounds
LYMPHEDEMA THERAPY MAY INCLUDE:
- complete decongestive therapy
- manual lymph drainage
- assistance with life-style change
- compression bandaging
- custom compression fitting
- skin/wound care
- infection prevention
- remedial exercises
- self-care guidance
There are so many ways to prevent the onset of lymphedema in many cases. We want our patients to know they don't have to "just live with it."
We are dedicated to helping our patients return to a desired quality of life as efficiently as possible.
Complete decongestive Therapy (CDT)
Complete decongestive therapy is a complex treatment regimen used with the purpose of reducing edema, fibrotic skin tissue, skin changes, reducing pain, improving function, reducing risk of infection and promoting wound healing. There are several components addressed with this treatment approach:
- Meticulous Skin Care
- Manual Lymph Drainage (massage to stimulate the lymphatic system)
- Compression Bandaging
- Remedial Exercises
- Compression Garment Fitting
- Education on Self management techniques for skin assessment and care, self manual lymph drainage techniques, self bandaging, and care and use of daily garments.